Digital disruption is challenging many companies in traditional industries and service organisations. Surviving significant change requires new ways of thinking and a strategic mindset.
Leaders must reimagine and reinvent the business itself.
We help companies to rethink the way they do business, and assist them to become more efficient, smarter, and, most importantly, to be customer-centric.
This is about leadership of the organisational and cultural changes needed to re-align around the cross-functional value-chain, so that revenue is secured by iteratively delivering augmented products and services, so that the company stays relevant as the world moves on.
We're here to help our business friends succeed. Please read on for an insight into why you need us.
Do you recognise these challenges?
- Your customers are no longer to be marketed to and persuaded to buy. Instead they seem to network with each other, seeking social proof rather than listening to your marketing department, and are wary of any sales manipulations you offer.
- Your business used to compete with rival companies that looked very much like yours. Today companies from outside your industry, who look nothing like you, offer competing value to your customers. You've pulled the levers that used to work, but you're not agile enough to stop this asymmetric challenge.
- You've noticed that data is generated in unprecedented quantities from every conversation, interaction and process, inside and outside of your business. But it's no longer structured, and there is so much that it's becoming overwhelming. The challenge is understanding what it all means, and then using that insight to make vital decisions
- You know that you need to innovate to stay relevant, but it is difficult. So many ideas float up, but you can't do them all and don't know which ones to back. There is still a singular focus on the finished product, because market testing is difficult and costly, and you rely on the intuition of your time-served managers, with the hope that there is meaningful data, somewhere, to give you insight. Your competitors are rapidly iterating their products and it appears that their continuous learning makes them quick to gain market feedback, and to act on it.
- Your successful company had a clear value proposition, had found a point of market differentiation (price, features, service or quality) and focused on execution year on year. Now, you realise that relying on an unchanging value proposition will be inviting challenge and disruption by new competition.
- Your traditional hierarchical organisation structure has created silos and internal protectionism. It's difficult to focus your resources on the cross-functional business processes necessary to create ongoing customer value. Your competitors seem to have a flat, value-creating organisation, with staff empowered to make decisions.
Digital disruption has meant that traditional businesses have been forced to rethink their products and services, and to reconsider the structure of the organisation that delivers them. Aston Beck helps you think through your response to the challenge - and opportunity - this represents.
There are good reasons to embrace your digital future sooner rather than later:
Increased profits. Businesses can expect to grow revenues significantly as a result of adopting digital strategies. Digital mastery is an outcome when digital capability and leadership capability are combined; the MIT Center for Digital Business established that a high-performing cohort of organisations who were digital masters outperformed their peers in every industry, by as much as 26%.
Greater resilience. Disruptive challengers, world events such as Covid-19 and new technologies will continue to shake up customer expectations and processes. A digital business builds resilience by replacing rigid structures and inflexible processes with a workplace culture and infrastructure that can respond and adapt to new demands.
Engaged employees. Disengaged employees cost the economy ££ billions each year. Digital businesses empower employees through transparency, learning opportunities, and open communication. By providing employees with data on how the business is performing – and their part in it – performance improves.
Avoiding the competency trap. Many companies assume that their current success (and the methods that enable it) will continue indefinitely. Then they end up scrambling to adapt when it stops working, making decisions for short-term survival rather than long-term growth.
We believe that digital transformation is mainly about the leadership needed to implement corporate agility and the cultural changes needed to make the company entirely customer-centric. Digital technology is an enabler, but not the main focus. Aston Beck helps you set out what action you need to take.
We help you make the changes your company needs by focusing on:
Leadership. Transformation is an all-company activity, but having respected leaders committed to achieving transformation outcomes is seen as a signal of intent, and significantly increases success. We work with your leaders to give them the playbook they need and the discrete support they'll appreciate.
Capability Building. Transformation success is more than three times likelier when respondents say their organisations have invested the right amount in digital talent. Developing skills and talent is one of the most important factors for success in a digital change effort, as is redefining individuals’ roles and responsibilities so they align with a transformation’s goals. Success is at least twice as likely when innovative recruitment takes place, using techniques that appeal a candidate’s innate digital conscience. We work with your leaders to ensure that the workforce has the right skills and talent in place.
Empowering Workers. Digital transformations require cultural and behavioural changes such as calculated risk taking, increased collaboration, and customer centricity. Establishing at least one new way of working, is more likely to result in success, as it is when leaders encourage employees to experiment with new ideas and allow employees to learn from their failures. We work with your leaders on creating the space for people to make decisions without fear, and on how to make the correct decisions.
Upgrading Tooling. When businesses empower employees to work in new ways digitising tools and processes can support success. We work with your leaders on implementing new tooling, together with the readiness activities and mindset adjustments needed to make the most of the investment.
Communication. As with traditional change initiatives, clear communication is critical during a digital transformation. Communicating the change story is vital – it helps employees understand where the company is headed, why it is changing, and why the changes are important. We work with your leaders on engagement messages which explain the vision and help foster a sense of urgency for making the changes within their business units.
Aston Beck has the experience to help your leadership team implement the changes you must make.
Kind words ...
Aston Beck has talented people, who understand what needs to be done, and how to do it. Our clients have been good enough to share some observations on us:
- Utilises his wealth of experience to not only set the programme up in the right way to successfully deliver business outcomes, but is able to take the team and the stakeholders on the journey in a very positive way which is a testament to his people skills in a very difficult environment
- Calm and considered in his approach and is able to problem solve at every step of the lifecycle, presenting sound options and recommendations to senior stakeholders
- Collegiate, creative and knowledgeable, with a deep understanding
- People and leadership are central to any change programme recommendations
- A complete success, as the entire user base was engaged, supportive and very well prepared for the change
- A calm demeanour to everything that he does which is most effective in high pressure and volatile situations
- Exceptional commitment and delivery across a wide range of disciplines
- A natural focused leader who is able to get people to work together
- Astute both technically and in business, and is very good in developing and maintaining relationships
- Relied upon to meet tight deadlines, with great attention to detail and to assist others to achieve their goals
We can help
We exist to help our business friends succeed. Competing against digitally-native challengers is hard, but can be done. Whatever function or sector you operate in, we help you with creating a whole-company focus on:
- delivering value to your customers, and adjusting that value to keep it relevant as the market, consumers and technology change.
- reorganising, so that activities are carried out by small self-organising teams, working in short cycles and focused on delivering value to your customers.
- empowering the workforce to make decisions, so that the cross-functional business processes truly do deliver value to your customers.
- a continuing effort to remove bureaucracy and top-down hierarchy so that the firm operates as an interacting network of teams, all focused on working together to deliver increasing value to customers.
Aston Beck is well-placed to advise and assist. We'd love to hear more about what's worrying you, and to discuss if we can be of service. Our whole ethos is about helping our clients become customer-centric, and to focus on the value that their customers receive. We take the same medicine, so we don't expect you to hire us until you've seen something of our value. We're happy to spend a day or two with you at our cost, to help define the problem or opportunity.Drop us a line